Search! Suche! Chercher!

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Note to self

Note to self:

Self, show up early.

I didn't, today. I wasn't exactly late; in fact, I was two minutes on the other side of on time. It's just that all the seats at the tables were taken, so I was left balancing my notebook on my knees, tucking myself under the eaves and trying to find a delicate balance between being able to see and not being in everyone's way.

The gallery seats, as it were, aren't usually completely full until after the course has begun, and today was no exception. To my left and right sat two latecomers, two friends. Their biggest concern was about making sure they signed the attendance list, which the guy to my right, who had it first, took about forever and a half to read (there's nothing to read! It's just a list of names and people's initials!) which for some reason irritated the bloody bijeezus out of me.

Just because you get older doesn't mean you still don't need medication. Yes, I know meds are underperscribed, but these two could've used some. They would not sit still! The remaining 45 minutes or so they were there (typical--didn't stay till the end) they twitched, shifted around, got stuff out of their backpacks, put it back again, got something else, found their water bottle, chatted, drank, ate food, begged food off of other people to eat, read newspapers, talked some more, and basically distracted the hell out of me. And the dude on my left has the audacity to ask me if this stuff is even interesting to me (even though I spent a huge amount of effort just trying to ignore them and follow the discussion I still found it interesting) and the guy on the right kept grinning at me like a maniac.

So, self, learn your lesson and get a spot at the table. Preferably away from the back.

No comments: