Search! Suche! Chercher!

Friday, May 16, 2008

Ach du lieber....

I apologize for the hiatus. My life in the last few weeks is what one could call hectic, to be overly generous and with little exaggeration. Finals suck for everyone involved, and as it was my last opportunity to work for awhile, I signed up fo 8-hr shifts during the time when everyone and their hamster returns their books--and 85% of the staff decide they don't want to work. So I worked, took my finals, wrote two papers, read two novels, graduated, went to and threw a few parties, moved out, moved in with a friend, moved out again, packed up my life, and left.

My flight left at 11.30 AM, which is a terrible time to fly, because you are 100% awake because it's the middle of the freaking day. I flew three hours to Detroit and then 8.5 to Frankfurt. Airports are what I imagine purgatory--or, at less charitable times, hell--to be like.... endless waiting, endless hallways stretching into infinity, frustrating rules and indifferent personnell. But you get through eventually and onto your flight.

I got stuck in the middle seat of the middle row of one those massive jets which was full to the brim with everyone, their mother, and their screaming baby. And of course, there was no such thing as a vegetarian option--because I booked through a 3rd party site, no one ever asked me--so I had a tray of sides, consisting of a small salad, a roll, and a piece of cheese for dinner. Breakfast wasn't much better.

Anyways, I made it to Frankfurt, made it through immigration and collected my bags. The trick was finding out what happened to my bike, which was considered ,,Sperrgepäck" because it's in a huge box. I finally managed to find it and balance it precariously on my little cart, only to have the guys at customs start laughing because I couldn't fit through the door. But no issues at customs, and I got to enjoy the astounded look on my sister's face as I emerge from the door pushing a cart I can't even see around. Two busses, a train, and four floors later we made it to her apartment.

I spent the day wandering around town, eating gelato, sleeping, chatting, sleeping, chatting, and making dinner. It felt like I had a terrible case of amnesia: evey time I woke up I would be completely confused as to where I am, what day it was, what time it was, what I was doing there....I wanted to be well rested; in the evening, we went to a party for film students at a local bar, and didn't make it home till 2 AM. And slept till 11 the next morning :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ah, the first 24 hours. A foggy memory, perhaps, but a good one nonetheless. It is good to be with family, wherever they are. Bienvenue. m