Search! Suche! Chercher!

Thursday, April 12, 2007

It's a nice feeling...

...to have my life back. It's like reuniting with a long-lost friend or visiting someplace again after a long absence; everything seems new and strange and wonderful.

That's the way I feel about my life. This may tend to hyperbole or exaggeration, but I truly felt like it had been an hour and a half shorter than forever since I had something anyone could call free time, as if I had done nothing since Christmas except work and write papers. Before you jump down my proverbial throat I will freely admit that a) it was my own fault, b) I still did have free time, though much less than usual and at odd times, c) it wasn’t so stressful all of that time period, mostly leading up to the conference and the paper deadlines.

But I don’t want to complain about that; I am sure at the time I complained a sufficient amount to generate enough pity for thirty homeless three-legged cats. I am particularly appreciative to those who lent me an ear, a shoulder, or any other body point.

In fact, I don’t want to complain at all: even though my days are now spent at work and not in the sunshine, the stress is gone; though I have some assignments for the Uni, they do not weigh on me. I had mostly forgotten what it is like to make plans for the evening that are something other than falling exhausted into bed, and reading a book that has nothing to do with politics is like Christmas without the nativity scene.

So, I wanted to share with you, dear readers (looking at my comment count, all 0.5 of you) the recipe for happiness:

Mix a few good friends, a cappuccino or an ice cream (be careful while stirring). Add at least one half hour of sunshine, to taste, and let chill. If mixture is too stressed or unhappy, it may be necessary to add more sunshine, friends, or physical exercise. In case of any difficulties while mixing, or if result is not as happy as intended, make sure to just smile occasionally for no apparent reason and think about those things going well. If even this fails, try sleeping.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home. The point of all our wandering is to return to the place from which we came, and to know it for the first time. Happy spring.