Search! Suche! Chercher!

Saturday, July 29, 2006

29 Julz 2006: Berlin



My flight was long and uneventful. I met a guy from Tulane at Heathrow, who was also off to Berlin. He invited me to go to Prague with him and some buddies. My arrival apparently accompanied the first rain Berlin has seen in weeks, making dinner on the terrace possible since the start of the heat wave some weeks ago, and I woke up to rain falling softly in the garden.

The entire family picked me up at the airport with a flower and a warm welcome. It’s like being picked up by family. We had a lovely dinner outside and sat and chatted. I gave them the coffee, peanut butter, beef jerkey, and other things I had brought. I have apparently violated customs by bringing in as much coffee as I did: approximately four times the legal limit. And the flight seriouslly vacuum-packed the beans, giving them a shriveled and distorted appearance. The gifts, however, were welcome.

I’d been here before, of course, so I halfway knew were stuff was, lightswitches, door handles, shower knobs (picture forthcoming). But it’s been awhile. And Sis isn’t here; she’s off on an Australian adventure which, last I heard, had her working 40 hours a week in a bar in Brisbane. More to come when I know it.



Rating:
Mineral water: +
Lack of fabric softener: -
Good bread: ++
(absence of) bug screens: -

1 comment:

Katie said...

Love the ratings. And give Carla my good luck, sounds like an awesome job to have!

And yay for new friends!