Search! Suche! Chercher!

Sunday, July 30, 2006

30 July 2006: Berlin



I've been having a great time so far; yesterday we went shopping and hung out for the day, then Benno and I went swimming. We had so much fun we're going again today. I think Heide and I are going to either a photography exhibit or a German history exhibit, and this evening we are going to go see Syriana in an open air cinema. It's wonderful to be here and everyone is so nice to me, I really feel like I belong. It's sad that Karla's not here, but she's busy adventuring at the moment.

It looks like the Ireland trip won't work out, which is actually just fine with me; Rabea really would rather go riding with me than visit museums and such in Ireland, and Asita wants to go to Sweden for some part of that. I'll call them today and see what's happening. I'll be thrilled just to see them all again and it's all vacation for me anyways, so I'm not too broken up about it.

Wolfgang has his 50th Birthday this next week. The Fiehrings are planning a party with about 60 guests. The food is being delivered so we don't have (get) to cook, but the decorations need to be done. I'm looking forward to it, even though I won't know most of the people there.

My German is slowly getting back into shape--my written German is, apparently, usually excellent, usually flawless, excepting the occasional American turn of phrase literally translated. My spoke German isn't quite so good but getting better, and I only occasionally have to stop and sort out a tangled tongue.

I ufortunately still have no idea as to what time it is most of the time, due to a lack of clocks in the house and people getting up at/staying up till odd hours. The computer clock says it's 3:49, but my guess is it's somewhere just past 9 AM. But no one really knows...

Lakes in Berlin: ++
Pfefferlinge (mushrooms): +
Breakfast on the terrace: ++
Humidity + heat: --
Mosquitos: --

No comments: