Search! Suche! Chercher!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

ähm, weiß ich doch das nicht

After an exceptionally busy, incredibly fun and utterly exhausting week I am back in sunny Colorado, which thankfully is sunny (or at least as far as I can tell out of the window of my work). After an initial 9-hour workday with the quality of life approximate to that of a used tissue (obviously worn, crumpled, slightly crusty-feeling, not good for much) due to extreme and extended lack of sleep I am back to normal.

On average, about four people per day come into the library. I am pretty sure 85% of the people there are staff, or the odd poor unfortunate serving his community service in shelving--or the disgruntled grad student at 8 AM on a Monday. So I can spend my day being not particularly productive and trying to answer the 100-odd emails that have piled up in a week of limited internet access.




Et si tu dansais toute nue mon amour
Et si tu dansais toute la nuit jusqu'au jour
Tes petites fesses blanches, tes petites fesses blanches

Et si tu ôtais ce petit bout de tissu
Juste me régaler de ton joli petit cul
Je n'ai pas les ailes blanches, je n'ai pas les ailes blanches

Je sais ce que je ferais si l'on m'annonçait la fin du monde pour dans 10 minutes
Je sais ce que je ferais si l'on m'annonçait la fin du monde pour dans 10 minutes

Peut être sais-tu déjà pourquoi je te rôde autour
Quelque chose plus que tout me fait envie mon amour
Tes petites fesses blanches, tes petites fesses blanches

Ta langue est une danseuse qui se déhanche sur tes lèvres
Je voudrais d'abord la voir tourner dans ma bouche et je crève
De tes petites pêches blanches, tes petites pêches blanches

Je sais ce que je ferais si l'on m'annonçait la fin du monde pour dans 10 minutes
Je sais ce que je ferais si l'on m'annonçait la fin du monde pour dans 10 minutes

La lune juste pour moi découpe ton corps dans la nuit
Alors déchirant la pénombre ton petit cul blanc me sourit
Qui viendra dire après ça que le bon Dieu n'existe pas

Je sais ce que je ferais si l'on m'annonçait la fin du monde pour dans 10 minutes
Je sais ce que je ferais si l'on m'annonçait la fin du monde pour dans 10 minutes

Je sais ce que je ferais si l'on m'annonçait la fin du monde pour dans 10 minutes
Je sais ce que je ferais si putain c'est pas long 10 minutes

Je n'ai pas les ailes blanches, je n'ai pas les ailes blanches.

--La fin du monde pour dans 10 minutes de Cali


New York was absolutely amazing. We sightsaw, we went to a show, ate in a phenomenal persian restaurant and in Little Italy, bought genuine imported italian handbags from Asian immigrants in back rooms accessed by an unmarked staircase or a hidden, secret door. The roach coach guy is my friend, and yells back and forth with his friend in Arabic about his crazy wife (or so he told me), and I can more or less take the subway anywhere, though I accidentally ended up in Brooklyn once. Delis are amazing, the bagels are phenomenal and there was a party going on till 3 am every night. In short, a good week---and that's just everything extraneous to the conference, our actual purpose of being there.

The conference itself was wonderful. I am pretty sure I had the best committee; I requested this one (the African Union) because it's small, and because the themes seem to be more relevant to most states as opposed to the lot of a small state in one of the GA committees (so what does Tuvalu *really* think about nuclear nonproliferation? role of small arms trade in patagonia? anyone?). Our school represented two delegations, one of which won a position paper award and a distinguished delegation award, and the other won an honorable mention. It seemed like about 40% of attendees were foreign, and about 90% of those were German. For once in my life it was useful to have learned German, though I was unable to overhear anything of a particular blackmail or gossip value. At least I didn't feel shut out from everyone's conversations, and got to explain about thirty-five times how I can speak German as well as I do.



In other news, the giant hit to my bank account known as my new laptop arrived in the gentle care of my parents, who regard it with undue skepticism and and are probably most likely quarantining it in the mudroom because it is a mac. I haven't managed to yet find the bike that will be the second hit to my bank account, and I've only got about a month left to find it in. And our family dog, after 14 years of loyal dog-ness, passed away, after having slowly but surely acquired arthritis, some kind of neurological disorder which gave her seizures and made her bite random people (not rabies, thank god), and eventual deafness. May she rest in peace, and may whereever she is have lots of snow, 'cause she loved it.



In other other news, the massive waste of paper which is my thesis is nearing completion. It's such a beast I keep it locked in the cabinet overnight to keep it from attacking my considerably more feeble term papers or mauling my french homework.

Mostly, I am enjoying evenings of doing nothing by myself. No, I haven't been abducted by aliens, as those of you who know me well personally will think, I am just recovering from a week of NYC, a 2000-person conference and four roommates. I bike to work and back, I work on things, listen to music and putter around aimlessly, and worry about term papers. There might be laundry involved. Ah, welcome to college. At least I graduate soon. In theory. Goal for tomorrow: write a paper on Race.

After five years of consecutive residence in Germany I am elligible for permanent residency, except my two previous years don't count and my next two will only count for 50% because I'm a student. Blast. If I'm lucky I'll want to get married before then, and that will solve many of these problems, except I don't want to marry for papers and I expect to have a job which should solve these problems as well. Silly foreigners' laws.





Ein Volk steht wieder auf - na toll
Bei Aldi brennt noch Licht
Du weißt, Deiche brechen richtig oder eben nicht
Du hoffst, erste Person plural,
weißt, aber nicht mit mir
Es ist schwer zu erlangen und leicht zu verlieren

A people rises again - so what
The light's still on at Aldi
You know, dams break all the way or maybe not
You hope, first person plural,
know, but not with me
it's hard to get and easy to lose


Nur weil man sich so dran gewöhnt hat
ist es nicht normal
Nur weil man es nicht besser kennt
ist es nicht - noch lange nicht - egal

Only 'cause we're so used to it
it's not so normal
only 'cause we don't know any better
it's not - not by a long shot - irrelevant


Ich habe nicht davon gehört
denn das ist was passiert
Mir hat niemand was erzählt
Ich habe nicht davon gelesen
Das ist unsere Zeit, ich bin dabei gewesen


I haven't heard about it
as that's what happened
no one told me anything
I read nothing about
This is our time, and I was there


Niemand wird es schlechter... - oh danke
Keiner findet statt
Du weißt, der Kuchen ist verteilt
und spürst, die Krümel werden knapp
Und alle um dich herum, wer kann was wofür?
Es ist schwer zu erlangen und leicht zu verlieren

Nobody's doing worse - oh, thanks
No one happens
you know, the cake has been divided
and feel the crumbs are getting scarce
All those people around you, what can they do?
It's hard to get and easy to lose


Nur weil man sich so dran gewöhnt hat
ist es nicht normal
Nur weil man es nicht besser kennt
ist es nicht - noch lange nicht - egal

Only 'cause we're so used to it
it's not so normal
only 'cause we don't know any better
it's not - not by a long shot - irrelevant


--Deiche von Kettcar

No comments: