Search! Suche! Chercher!

Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Music Review

Someone asked me yesterday what music I was listening to, and of course I drew a blank. So for those of you who, like me, consider leaving the house without headphones unnecessarily cruel, I give you: the music review (with thanks to Pandora).

Hello Saferide
H.S. is Swedish singer/songwriter Annika Norlin (heh... Norlin...). Her songs are often narrative, telling a story, and just all-around well done. The song San Francisco, available for download from her website, just basically makes me happy in a fruit smoothie kind of way.


Long Lost Penpal, from Hello Saferide

.Ö.Ö.Ö.Ö.Ö.

Ane Brun
I first saw her in concert a few years back, opening for someone else but I think I ended up liking her better than the band for whom she opened. She's got a fantastic voice, puts a lot of style into it, and it just sounds effortless.


Rubber & Soul, from Ane Brun feat. Teitur

.Ö.Ö.Ö.Ö.Ö.

Brett Dennen
He might have a voice you either love or hate, but I love it. In any case, he has fantastic songs and beautiful lyrics, sounds a little bit like Bob Dylan meets James Morrison. He'll be coming to town soon, as he's touring with the John Butler Trio. I've had a hard time finding a good video, but this is someone's interpretation of one of Dennen's songs.


Ain't No Reason, from Brett Dennen

.Ö.Ö.Ö.Ö.Ö.

John Butler Trio
If you don't know about them, you should. The guitarist is simpy amazing. I don't understand how people who play this well don't rule the world. Check out the video:


The guitar solo from Ocean, from JBT

.Ö.Ö.Ö.Ö.Ö.

Rob Drabkin
Reminding me of JBT is Rob Drabkin, a kid with big hair from Denver whom I saw in concert, also as an opener, and he blew me away. I'm unfortunately not able to find a video of his more virtuosic stuff, but he's just cool anyways. And he has big hair.

Go listen to him on myspace

.Ö.Ö.Ö.Ö.Ö.

Matt Wertz
I went to his concert last week, and it was great but short. He might be more pop than rock, though he doesn't even begin to approach the cheesiness of James Blunt ("You're beautiful...." bite me). I'd liken him more to John Mayer. My favorite song, 519, has no appropriate video, so, sucks to be us. I am in awe of his vocal chords, though, and wonder how they take the strain. He also tends to look like the whole thing is pretty strenuous.


Carolina, from Matt Wertz

.Ö.Ö.Ö.Ö.Ö.

Ashton Allen
This is the kind of song you play over and over again till you can't stand it, and then you keep listening. Some people liken him to some early Beatels; I don't really have a reference for him but I like 'im.


Better than I know and Dewdrops, from Ashton Allen

.Ö.Ö.Ö.Ö.Ö.

Gomez
One of my all-time favorites. I love them. Nuff said. And besides, the video is worth watching because it is just well done, and does a great job of narrative. They've probably gotten popular enough that I can no longer afford the concert tickets, boo.


See the World, from Gomez

.Ö.Ö.Ö.Ö.Ö.

Matt Costa
Sounds a bit like Jack Johnson meets Beatles, Matt Costa has simple lyrics, the kind of tunes that get stuck in your head and overall a lot of energy and enthusiasm.


Sunshine, from Matt Costa

Other great people: Rachael Yamagata, Our Lady Peace (yes, they have more than that one single), Ellis Paul, Josh Rouse, Ben Jelen (soso), KT Tunstall, Bright Eyes, Erin McKeown

No comments: