Search! Suche! Chercher!

Friday, February 22, 2008

Bobblehead



I almost got hit by a bike. This was due not only to the insane bikers in Boulder--which, given, do tend to contribute to such near-calamities by tour-de-francing around packed campuses while talking on cellphones--but rather, it was due to the fact that I had slept funny and had a crick in my neck. I was unable to turn to the left, tilt my head at all, or do much of anything with my cervical vertibrae without causing extreme pain. So I spent an entire day with my head tilted to the right, a position of perpetual curiosity, as if I am intensely listening to whatever the other person is saying, when in fact, I just can't hold my head any other way. It was kind of awkward, and by kind of awkward I mean it was really awkward, and people made fun of me. In a good way, or at least in a way recognizing that it was both a temporary and non-life-threatening condition, and had me bobbing like a sparrow instead of nodding. But I've gotten used to life as a bobblehead with fused vertebrae, and my neck is getting better. Today, for instance, I am even able to look left and right before crossing the street.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You do seem to have a variety of physical issues these days, with this and twisting your ankle. What do we do to protect you from yourself? m