Search! Suche! Chercher!

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Midterm report

Being half a year older doesn't really entitle me to any special privliges, except to spend an entire post talking about myself, which I am allowed to do anyways but prefer to avoid.

What happened to the last 6 months?

Just before my birthday last summer I threw a big party, packed all my stuff into two suitcases and foisted various bits of furniture on unsuspecting friends (I am sure my little table is safe and happy, and my bookshelves are filled, and my mirror in use). (I'm leeeeeving on a jet plane).

So I left my postcard life and came back to not-so-sunny CO, where I spent a month being antisocial and writing about 60 pages, in German, to complete my last two classes.

I started my much-vaunted "senior year", took a boatload of credits and spent much of my spare time writing grad school and scholarship applications. Summer turned slowly into fall. I took enough credits that, if it turned out I didn't have friends, I wouldn't be bored. But I had friends, old friends, new friends, red friends, blue friends.... We hung out, we ate food, we partied, we did cool stuff. Fall turned into winter, it snowed, it melted, it snowed again, it didn't melt. The first semester, Christmas, and my brother came and went. Life was good, cold, and wet.

The second semester started out easy, interspersed by life, conferences, dentist appointments, the occasional injury, and a flurry of planning. Now midterms and my thesis and my position papers are upon me, but compared to last semester or April of last year, this is pie. It will be over soon, and in 3 months I will be in Germany again.

My thesis loome(d/s) over me like a sword of Damoclese, or more appropriately, like a large objec about to crush me under its oppresive and overwhelming weight. Or rather, the anticipation is almost worse than anything else. I got started, made progress, got stuck, got over it, got on with it. Four weeks left. Then revisionconferencespringbreakdefense school school school (organize) school (organize) graduation (pack) leave. Bike trip? Chill chill chill (do something) interhsip school.

To summariz: some ups, some downs. But it's all down hill from here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy you're happy, and getting happier. You certainly weren't happy when you came back -- I'd say, "came home" but I doubt you'd see it that way. Still, I wish we were in here, somewhere in your description of your experience in Colorado. And I hope you take some of the beauty that is Colorado itself in you, and with you, wherever you go. And France isn't in your list of choices, unless I read the list too quickly. How can that be? I'm sad for that, too.